Re: [gtk-list] Re: errors - warnings

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:17:55 -0500 (EST), Dave Reed wrote:
> >> From: "* *" <msg124@hotmail.com>
> >> I run a "Progress bar" example program from "Eric Harlow"'s book and i get
> >> all kind of
> >> warnings and errors like "warning : return type defaults to int". I use the
> >> following to compile:
>
> Sounds like a broken system include file.

There are a couple of gcc flags that may (or may not) be of use here.
  -traditional, which tells gcc to accept many K&R constructs, (If you
  are compiling in c++, try -fpermissive first.)

For more info, run
$info gcc

and then type 'g' (for goto node) and 'C dialect options' (you can use
  TAB to complete, like in bash or tcsh) when it asks you which node.

> >> gcc -Wall -g example.c -o example `gtk-config --cflags --libs`. I am not
> >> sure what is wrong?.
> >> I have checked everything several times and I do not see any differences.
> >> I run radhat.
> >
> > First, I am almost certain cross-posting to multiple lists is
> > discouraged.
>
> Specifically if it is quite clear that this question belongs to the
> gtk-list.
>
> > What are the specifics of your system (OS, version, etc.)?  On my
> > Linux box gtk/gnome programs compile fine, but at work on a Sun
> > Solaris box, I get all kinds of warnings like the above.  I suspect
> > something must be different in Sun's X include files, but haven't
> > looked into it since they are just warnings and the programs compile
> > and run fine.
>
> Solaris ships with broken X header files: All function prototypes are K&R
> style, while ANSI C has been around for quite some time. I don't have
> access to a Solaris box anymore, so I don't know about the latest versions
> of Solaris, but it seems that it is still broken. Oh well, complain to
> Sun, not to the GTK people.

You really should complain to Sun. These headers contian things which
  (1) have been deprecated for 10 years and
  (2) are no longer be legal under the C99 standard, IIRC.