Re: [gtk-list] Re: errors - warnings

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:17:55 -0500 (EST), Dave Reed wrote:
>> From: "* *" <msg124@hotmail.com>
>> I run a "Progress bar" example program from "Eric Harlow"'s book and i get
>> all kind of
>> warnings and errors like "warning : return type defaults to int". I use the
>> following to compile:

Sounds like a broken system include file.

>> gcc -Wall -g example.c -o example `gtk-config --cflags --libs`. I am not
>> sure what is wrong?.
>> I have checked everything several times and I do not see any differences.
>> I run radhat.
>
> First, I am almost certain cross-posting to multiple lists is
> discouraged.

Specifically if it is quite clear that this question belongs to the
gtk-list.

> What are the specifics of your system (OS, version, etc.)?  On my
> Linux box gtk/gnome programs compile fine, but at work on a Sun
> Solaris box, I get all kinds of warnings like the above.  I suspect
> something must be different in Sun's X include files, but haven't
> looked into it since they are just warnings and the programs compile
> and run fine.

Solaris ships with broken X header files: All function prototypes are K&R
style, while ANSI C has been around for quite some time. I don't have
access to a Solaris box anymore, so I don't know about the latest versions
of Solaris, but it seems that it is still broken. Oh well, complain to
Sun, not to the GTK people.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl