Re: [gtk-list] GTK configure does not find X?

No, the check is fine, and it doesn't matter wether you run from within X or
even if X is running. In fact, you don't even have to have X at all to
configure and compile. What you do need is to have the various X libraries and
include files.

Try this:
	ls /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.*
(Replacing /usr/X11R6 with whatever the base of your X installation is)

If you see some files ending in .a or .so.6.0 (or other numbers) then you have
the library that it's choking on, and your problem is that it isn't being seen
by your development tools. In that case, you should...
a.) make a symlink from /usr/X11R6/include to /usr/include/X11 (or whatever
the appropriate directories are for FreeBSD) and...
b.) Edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add a "/usr/X11R6/lib" on a line by itself, then
run /sbin/ldconfig as root

(this is assuming FreeBSD uses /etc/ld.so.conf, which it may well not, I don't
know)

More likely, though, the libraries aren't there. Since they really should be
(as you can't compile any X11 packages without them) you should get them from
wherever you got XFree.