Problem with GTK Themes

Okay, I've searched the archiives, read the FAQs, even looked at some of the
sources, and I'm stuck.

I can't get GTK themes to work. Well, more accurately, I can't get the theme
engines to work. Every time I try to load a theme that uses anything but the
default engine, it spews out a bunch of lines like:

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path: "libpixmap.so",

Well, that's easy to explain. There is no such file as libpixmap.so.

There is a libpixmap.a and a libpixmap.la, as well as equivilant files for each
of the engines, under /usr/local/lib/gtk/themes/engines, but no .so files to be
seen.

So I went back to the gtk-engines source tree and rebuilt it carefully. Nope,
no .so files are generated or installed at any time.

Many many thanks in advance for any advice!