Re: [gtk-list] Re: Looking for internationalization info

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 01:25:17PM +0200, David Monniaux wrote:

>   Also, there are lots of constructs that depend on the word order
>   in the sentence. With a C-library that understands the $ specifier
>   in xxprintf(), it is possible to solve this elegantly.

Yes, the %n$ specifier is an elegant solution, but AFAIK it's only
supported by the GNU compiler and C library.  If this is the case, it
may require two versions of order-variant messages: one with and one
without the %n$ solution.  After all, we should be as considerate to
those using non-GNU systems as we are to those using non-english
languages.

I also recall seeing mention of the apostrophe as a digit grouping
qualifier that was supported by GNU libc.  This would allow something
like:

  printf("These digits should get grouped: %'i, %'g\n",
	 12345678, 123456789.0987654321);

to print:

  These digits should get grouped: 12,345,678, 123,456,789.0987654321

with appropriate swapping of the commas and periods based on the
setting of the users LANG.

This also seems like a very handy feature, but I haven't been able to
get it to work.  Is any further information about this available?

-- John Kodis.