Re: [gtk-list] Re: Shaped Pixmaps

>>      The idea is to put a lot of shaped pixmaps in a GtkFixed but without  a
>>  GtkFixed (or GtkEvent... or similar) for each pixmap.
>
>This sounds like a very bad hack.  You may be better served by the
>GnomeCanvas widget.

at the risk of sounding angry:

its not a bad hack, its an act of defiance against the decision of the
GTK/Gnome team to make the very useful Canvas widget part of Gnome and
not part of GTK. Some of use don't have Gnome, and don't want it
(right now, anyway). I downloaded the gnomeui libs, and it was more
trouble than I was willing to go to to extract the Canvas from the
Gnome sources.

Gtk_Fixed works just fine, and has low overhead for those of us who
don't want the rest of the great features that the Canvas offers.

I do plan to use the Canvas eventually, but its just too much work to
have to get Gnome working right now. It also bloats my own application
and more importantly, requires that anyone else working on my program
also has Gnome installed, which given its size and complexity, I am
unwilling to do.

--p