Re: [gtk-list] install problem

> Hi,

    Hi, Christian,

>    I'm trying to  install GLIB-1.2.2.TAR.GZ and I have few problems.
>
>    First, what I did is this:
>            ./configure >result1.txt
>            make >result2.txt
>            make install >result3.txt

    If the steps does not wrote any error on the output, then
    all went OK.

>    Like it's suggested in the INSTALL file.
>
>     I looked the three Result files It made...  I don't see any error.
>
>     When I look at the config.log after theses operations, I can see
>few things:
>
>ltconfig:841: gcc -c -g -02 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -c conftest.c
>conftest.c 1>&5
>cc1: Invalid option '-fno-exceptions'
>cc1: Invalid option '-fno-exceptions'
>
>later I got a lot of "warning: unused variable" like 's' 'foo', 'Zero',
>'x' etc.
>Also got "warning: return-type defaults to 'int'
>
>later:
>configure: In function 'main':
>configure:3333: 'not' undeclared (first use this function)
>configure:3333: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>configure:3333: for each function it appears in.)
>configure:3333: parse error before 'big'
>configure: failed program was:
>#line 3327 "configure"
>#include "confdefs.h"
>#include <sys/types.h>
>#include <sys/param.h>
>int main() {
>
>#if BYTE_ORDER != BIG_ENDIAN
>   not big endian
>#endif
>; return 0; }

    These errors are normal ! the latest just test wether
    BYTE_ORDER is BIG_ENDIAN or not ! If it is not, the
    compiler stops on the 'not', as it should,
    so that the configure script gets the compiler error and is able to
    say that BYTE_ORDER is not equal to BIG_ENDIAN.

>later............
>configure:4297: warning: implicit declaration of function 'va_copy'
>undefined reference to 'va_copy'
>
>well, it didn't work at all, but I'm sure I downloaded the last 'stable'
>version....
>could it be an error of my compiler?

    If ./configure ends up with creating Makefiles and config.h, then
    it probably succeeds.

>I've tried to install GTK+-1.2.2.tar.gz but it didn't work
>too (normal: he need the glib to work)....
    [I assume here that you have put glib in /usr/local/lib,
    since you ./configured with defaults]

    You should
        * add /usr/local/lib to the /etc/ld.so.conf file,
        * add /usr/local/bin to your PATH envvar,
        * rerun ldconfig
        * delete the config.cache file in gtk+ base dir
        * re-run ./configure in the gtk+ dir.