Re: [gtk-list] Creating a root window GC

In message <Pine.OSF.4.02A.9905062224390.25870-100000@sanjuan.cs.washington.edu
>you write:
>
>I'm working on a user interface for the window constraint feature of scwm
>(http://vicarious-existence.mit.edu/scwm/) and I'd like to be able to use
>Gdk to draw directly on to the root window.  I can't figure out how to get
>a GC for doing this...  I've done it using Xlib, but I'd prefer to go
>through Gdk using guile-gtk so that all of the code can be written
>in scheme. An example using guile-gtk would be great, but C/C++ is fine
>as well.  I'd just like to learn how to do it in general...

what makes you think that its hard ? the only important about the GC
is that it has the same depth as the root window, and as far as I
know, all X servers have the same depth in the root window as in any
other (default) window. So, just cook up a new GC, or grab one from
the style of an existing widget.

--p (once a member of cslab@cs.washington.edu)