Creating a root window GC

I'm working on a user interface for the window constraint feature of scwm
(http://vicarious-existence.mit.edu/scwm/) and I'd like to be able to use
Gdk to draw directly on to the root window.  I can't figure out how to get
a GC for doing this...  I've done it using Xlib, but I'd prefer to go
through Gdk using guile-gtk so that all of the code can be written
in scheme. An example using guile-gtk would be great, but C/C++ is fine
as well.  I'd just like to learn how to do it in general...

	Thanx,

		-Jeff

---
Jeff W. Nichols   "There are over forty million lines of code in Windows,
UW CSE                     and I love every one of them."
jwnichls@cs                         - Jean-Louis Gassee CEO, Be Inc.