Announce: Musica 1.0

During the last couple of weeks I've been hacking on a GTK based MIDI
player, Musica. It is currently still under heavy development, but I in my
opinion it is rather usable for others. The source is currently also quite
bug free (famous last words), so I release it before I'm going to mess it
up with new features. Musica currently runs on Linux only, but support for
other operating systems is planned.

>From the README file:

* Features
==========

- Plays MIDI files on Linux machines with an OSS sound card interface.
- GTK based user interface supporting drag-and-drop for easy file
  selection. Drag a MIDI file from the GNOME-ified Midnight Commander
  to Musica's drop pocket and it automatically loads the file.
- Tempo adjustment, Play a MIDI file up to four times faster or slower.
- Fast forward. Skip those dull passages in a MIDI file.

* Requirements
==============

- A Linux system. Other operating systems will be supported in the
  future.
- A C++ compiler. Every Linux system comes with the excellent GNU
  C/C++ compilers, so that shouldn't be a problem. If your system
  misses the compilers, you'll have to install them. Read the
  documentation for your Linux distribution for that.
- The GTK widget set, version 1.2.0 or better. Available at
  http://www.gtk.org/, but maybe also as a package for your Linux
  distribution.
- As GTK requires X, Musica needs the X Window system, too.
- A sound card with MIDI support. Check your Linux kernel configuration.

* Known bugs
============

- Only plays on the first available MIDI device. In my case, that's a
  Roland HP-330 digital piano on the external MIDI port.
- Multi track MIDI files are not correctly handled: the tracks are not
  played simultaneously, but after each other.
- Heavy X usage can disturb timing.
- MIDI timing not always correct.

The source is released under GNU GPL. More information, screenshots and
downloads from: http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/open-source/musica/ .

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl