Re: [gtk-list] Static compilation & gtk--

On Mon, 03 May 1999 21:19:17 +0200, gtk-list@redhat.com (Erwan Loisant) wrote:
> I am developping using gtk-- and I want to compile static binaries (to
> use the binary on a PC without gtk libs).
>
> When I compile dynamically by
> g++ mysource.cc `gtkmm-config --cflags` `gtkmm-config --libs`
> The compilation works fine.
>
> But when I try to add -static, I have the following error message :
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lgtkmm: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce
> type.

Internationalisation is a great thing, but not if you want to understand
what's going on. I guess this means something like "can't find a library
with that type".

> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> What is surprising is that :
> - The dynamic compilation works fine
> - The static compilation w/ just gtk works fine
>
> Just the dynamic compil w/ gtk-- generates errors !!

If my assumption about the meaning of the error message is correct, I
think the answer is simple: you haven't installed the static gtk--
libraries (libgtkmm.a).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl