Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk-- versus GTK+

Karl Nelson <kenelson@ece.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Therefore, we implemented typesafe templates that allow the
> compiler to check if a function can safely be connected from
> to a signal.  This does come a cost.  If you have tried to compile
> with gtk-- you will notice that it is quite slow.  This is because
> of the extensive template matchine that is required to perform
> that checking.   For most programmers it is well worth the cost.

I wanted to use Gtk-- for a small project of mine but decided against
it since I did not want users to have to install yet another library
(that seemed rather big). Also, at the time Gtk-- was not entirely
synchronized with GTK+.

Having to work around the GTK+ C interface, I have somewhat regretted
that since.

How big is the (approximate) cost in terms of speed and memory usage
of a Gtk-- program vs. the same program using plain (unsafe) GTK+ ?

--
Mvh. Anders