Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk-- versus GTK+

Anders Melchiorsen <and@kampsax.dtu.dk> writes:

> Having to work around the GTK+ C interface, I have somewhat regretted
> that since.

It's not too late to change, the transition should be rather easy.

> How big is the (approximate) cost in terms of speed and memory usage
> of a Gtk-- program vs. the same program using plain (unsafe) GTK+ ?

In terms of speed, I would say 0. There's a one method call (ie a
plain function call, most of the time) per GTK+ function call
overhead, which is not something you can measure in a GUI.

Regarding memory, I don't know. It depends on how many widgets you're
using, and how many different ones you're using...

Taking the 'entry' example, the Gtk-- version has a size of 4496 Kb
(2828 resident), while the GTK+ version is 3144 Kb, 1776 resident.

Taking the 'aspectframe' example, the Gtk-- version is 4456Kb (2648
RSS), the GTK+ is 3132Kb (1660 RSS).

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent