Re: [gtk-list] Re: gnome and Gtk--

Havoc Pennington <rhp@zirx.pair.com> writes:
Hi Havoc,
hi Guillaume,

thanks for Your answers,

> On 2 May 1999, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >
> > CPPFLAGS=`gnome-config --cflags gnomemm gnomeui` $CPPFLAGS
> >

> BTW (to Peter): CPPFLAGS conventionally means "C Preprocessor Flags" while
> CXXFLAGS is the usual variable for flags to the C compiler (CXX).
sorry  I dont know the meaning of BTW ??

> Might save some confusion down the line.
>

> It's not a bug - most likely the Gtk-- package is built with a version of
> Gtk that conflicts with the Gnome version, or perhaps some other subtle
> dependency is in conflict. Perhaps the Gtk-- package includes Gnome-- and
> is built against an older Gnome. Anyway, the point is: either the Gtk--
> package or the Gnome packages are out of date and they are not compatible.
> The Debian package manager is too smart to let you break your system. The
> solution is to wait for the out of date package to get synced up.

I have downloaded the Gtk 1.0.0 source,  build it under
the `/usr/local` tree setting the dependencies for Gtk--
right here its no problem using Gtk-- compile programs
(all the progs I found, I get compiled and run - under gnome)

thank You for help,
wish You all the best
 Peter

--