Re: [gtk-list] gnome and Gtk--

Peter Berlau <pberlau@muenster.de> writes:

> if I use the line
>
> CPPFLAGS="`gtkmm-config --cflags` `gnome-config --cflags` --$CPPFLAGS"
> if I make the binaries I got the warning
> c++: Ambiguous abbrreviation --
> what does that mean ?

You don't need the double quotes, and I wonder where the two '--'
before $CPPFLAGS come from. Anyway, this should work :

CPPFLAGS=`gtkmm-config --cflags` `gnome-config --cflags` $CPPFLAGS

However, if you'll be using Gnome too, then you should use Gnome--
(C++ bindings for the Gnome libs, which come along with Gtk--,
although they're far less complete than the GTK+ bindings) :

CPPFLAGS=`gnome-config --cflags gnomemm gnomeui` $CPPFLAGS

If you need something in the Gnome libs which isn't wrapped in Gtk--,
just send a mail about it on the Gtk-- mailing list and we'll try to
provide the missing wrappers as soon as possible.

> Can i ignore this ?

No.

> or do I something wrong ?

Yes:-)

> the matter with debian is:
> if i install gnome it deinstalls  Gtk--
> if i install Gtk--  it deinstalls gnome

This is a bug which should be reported to the respective maintainers
of the packages.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent