How to collapse a tree before it is displayed.

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Linux and X Windows programming.  I purchased Red Hat Linux
5.2 which include gtk+ 1.0.6.

I am experimenting with the Tree widget.  Each tree item contains a
mini-pixmap and text.  In code I add a subtree to an existing branch.  When
the application starts up it shows all the tree branches expanded.  When I
click on the + sign it changes to - but nothing happens because the tree is
already expanded.  From that point on it works fine.  The tree branches
expand and collapse normally.

What am I missing?

TIA

Ed