Problems installing

I recently picked up gtk and glib v1.2.0 but have had some problems installing.
Specifically i can configure/make/make install the lib fine and am then able to
configure the gtk.  However, when i try to make the gtk itself it gets very far
along (several minutes while it makes) and then i get this error:

libtool: link: '/usr/local/lib/glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la' is not a valid libtool archive

Now, i don't seem to have a gmodule.la, but i do have a gmodule directory.  I tried
downloading the file from another site in case i had a bad file or something but the
same problem.  Anyone experience a problem like this before?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alan Tetley