thread implementation

Hi,
	I'm working on a freshly installed slackware-3.5 machine, and
trying to build gtk-1.2.  It errors, telling me that it can't find the
'libraries for the thread implementation posix'.  I guess I could compile
it without thread support, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Any Help?
the errors are below.
Thanks in advance,
Scott Moser

checking for thread implementation... posix
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthreads... no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lc_r... no
checking for pthread_attr_init... no
checking for __d10_pthread_attr_init in -lthread... no
checking for __pthread_attr_init_system in -lpthread... no
configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread implementation
                posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
                provide information on your thread implementation.
                You can also run 'configure --disable-threads'
                to compile without thread support.

                In a world without walls, who needs windows?