Is there a trap in GtkCList

Hello,

I'm using GTK+ 1.2.
Recently I changed the selection mode of a CList from

 gtk_clist_set_selection_mode(GTK_CLIST(list), GTK_SELECTION_EXTENDED);

 gtk_clist_set_selection_mode(GTK_CLIST(list), GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE);

Applying this change I (the only change in the program at all!) I get
coredumps while calling

 gtk_clist_append(GTK_CLIST(list), &buf)

or
 gtk_clist_remove(GTK_CLIST(list), row);

So my question is:  Do I have to do something to protect the list
from the core dumps or it is just a hint for another hidden problem
in my program.  Fiddling around with testgtk didn't showed any problem.

Kind regards

    Andreas.