problem with imlib_config and gtk

I have compiled and installed gtk+-1.2.0 with no problems.
I have also JUST installed the imlib-1.9.4-1 and imlib-
cfgeditor-1.9.4-1 rpms.  I try to start imlib_config and
get (big suprize to me...not) an error:

imlib_config: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0: undefined symbol: XListInputDevices

Once again, a gtk-related problem. Why does imlib-1.9.4,
which requires gtk and glib 1.2.0 have a problem
with gtk+-1.2.0?  What is the fix, if any?  I once
had electric eyes running but upon upgrading to gtk/glib
1.2.0 had to dump it.  Then along comes a version that
works (supposedly, at least) with gtk 1.2.0 so I
install it.  Unfortunately, it requires imlib and imlib
should have imlib-config with it.

As for ee, when I try to start it I get:
Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
ee: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0: undefined symbol: XListInputDevices

The first problem, I can probably fix but the second
problem is, yet again, a gtk problem just like with
imlib_config.

Please help me solve these annoying problems.

"If a man hasn't discovered something that
he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
	          --Martin Luther King, Jr

Padraig UiNiall