re: glib compilation errors

I was attempting to compile Glib (latest) under DG/UX. I compiled the glib
with the "nothread" option
and because I am not the root user used a personal bin directory under my
home directory for the
value of prefix when running config. I tried to make it but some ways down
the process I got

(cd .libs && ln -s ../libglib.la libglib.la)
        gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=g_log_domain_glib
-g -O2 -Wall  -c testglib.c
        /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall   -o testglib
testglib.o libglib.la
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/testglib testglib.o -L/home/dbaggett/bin/lib
.libs/libglib.so
.L_E1366                            .libs/libglib.so
.L_E1367                            .libs/libglib.so
.L_E1368                            .libs/libglib.so
ld: .libs/testglib: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No output
written to .libs/testglib
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Is this a problem with libglib.so ? Possibly too old?

If anybody has any ideas on this I would greatly appreciate it (all this
system has is motif and athena
and boy is it ugly!)

thanks