Re: [gtk-list] Re: glib header errors...

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 03:30:55PM +0100, VANHULLEBUS Yvan was heard to say:

> >From timj@gtk.org:
>
> [......]
>
> >it would be helpfull if you'd post the exact error messages here.
>
> Yes, sorry....
>
> I clicked a bit too fast on 'Send Message'....
>

> Here is a part of error message when making ./configure for
> gtksee V 0.2.1:

  [snip errors from duplicate definitions]

> >in glib.h from the 1.2 distribution, GDestroyNotify is defined in line 750 as
>
> >typedef void            (*GDestroyNotify)       (gpointer       data);
>
> You're right !!!!!
>
> That make the problem stranger, doesn't it ?????
>

> After my first post, I also tried to install GTK 1.2 at home
> (RedHat 5.2), and I got the same problems during compilation
> of GTK programms..... but compilation and installation
> of Glib/GTK didn't generate the problem I got when installing
> them on the Solaris stations....
>

> On both systems, I upgraded from a GTK V 1.0.*, without cleaning
> anything....Can it be the reason of my problem ?????

  GTK+ 1.0.* and GTK+1.2 can live together quite nicely, but their header
files and config info are another story.  You can check this by doing:

locate glib.h

  If you find one that's not accounted for by your recent install, then
you've got extra headers.

  If you installed from some sort of package for 1.0.*, you should probably
see if there's a way to get just the libraries (ie don't install the
"gtk-devel" package).  OTOH, someone on this list might be able to come up
with a way to get the header files to live nicely next to each other.

  I'm not sure how to get rid of the old development files if you didn't
install from packages (or if the RPMs don't split the files up).  There's
probably some obscure make target. :-)

  Daniel

--
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of