Re: [gtk-list] Accessing struct fields [was: Re: Method to query toggle button state?]

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 02:30:05PM +0900, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> This however does not address the point I wanted to make.
> Fact is that GTK+ frequently requires read and/or write
> access to struct fields for which there is no gtk_*_get_* or
> gtk_*_set_* function available (eg, for most fields of
> adjustment objects).  My questions are

Oh, I haven't changed my opinion that GTK's objects should be opaque
and that all data should be set/retrieved using accessor functions of
some sort.

> Regarding the second point, the proposal (made by someone on
> the lists) to have a macro and a function encapsulating that
> macro as a trade off between efficiency and ease of adding
> bindings for high-level languages seems reasonable to me.

Agreed.  I'd like to point out that it would probably be best for the
function to literally encapsulate the macro rather than re-implement
its function.  This eliminates the possibility of the function
and macro diverging.

Jimmie

--
Jimmie Mayfield