Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK 1.2 questions

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Ron Forrester wrote:

> 1) Can I make the text entry part of a combo box readonly, so that the
> combo is merely a selection mechanism? Or is there some other widget
> that would be better for selecting from a small list of choices?

You might consider a GtkOptionMenu. You could probably
gtk_widget_set_sensitive() the entry portion of the combo, but I'm not
sure how well it would work.

> 2) I need to persist some options to disk, is there an api out there
> everyone typically uses to read/write name/value pairs to a file?

Gnome comes with an API to do this. Another option is to use an XML
library, such as the libxml that comes with Gnome (but it works without
Gnome too). There are some other libraries out there as well, check
Freshmeat, but these two are the ones most in use by the "Gtk community."

Two other possibilities are libPropList (comes with WindowMaker) and
ripping the config file parser out of icewm (it's simple and
well-separated from the main code).

Havoc