Lower level mapping for animation.

  I'm interested in animating in a window using gtk.  Of course for speed I
need a minimum of drawing overhead...

  Since I can't do direct-video, what's the closest I can get?  I'd like to
be able to draw my image onto a 2d array, then put the array straight into
its window, and update repeatedly.
  (Of course I'd have to poll the X server first for its color depth etc.,
but hopefully a one-time deal at the start of the program.)

  Can I write directly to a pixmap as if it were an array, then send the
pixmap to the window?  (Probably not...)

  So then can I write directly to an XPM-data structure, then copy that to
the pixmap, etc?  And re-use the same pixmap?

  Thanks,
  John