Re: [gtk-list] Unidentified subject!

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:51:56 -0400 (EDT), Wenhao Meng wrote:
> Thank you very much for the information about gcc 2.8.1. I will download and
> install it tonight. Can someone please help me with this question before I
> install gcc 2.8.1 to my computer.

I hope you understand what you're going to do, this is really *not* a
trivial joke! Been there, done that (on IRIX, SunOS, and Linux). Just use
the Redhat package, it's *much* easier.

> My computer has a state as listed below:
>
> 1. Red Hat 5.0 distribution
> 2. Glib 1.2.2
> 3. Gtk+ 1.2.2
> 4. gcc 2.7.2.3
>
> I do not think I should keep gcc 2.7.2.3 if I install gcc 2.8.1 to my
> computer. Is it right? If so, is there any way to clean up gcc 2.7.2.3?

No. You really need gcc 2.7.2.3 to compile the Linux kernel, plain
gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-1.1.2 can't be used. I don't know if it is possible
with RedHat 5.0 to have both the gcc 2.7.2.3 and 2.8.1 packages on the
same machine.

> I know where it was installed, is it correct simply deleting those
> directories?

No, you should not mess with those files yourself because you will break
the package manager dependencies. Remember that you are not on a Windows
box on which you can mess with every file! I'm not an rpm expert, but I
think "rmp -e gcc ; rpm -e gcc-c++" will remove gcc. However, I'm not sure
because I use Debian 2.1 (with the apt package manager), so Read The Fine
rpm Manual.

Maybe you'd better consider upgrading to RedHat 6.0, which comes with
upgraded tools, and an egcs-1.1.2 binary that can also be used to compile
Linux kernels (so I'm told on the egcs mailinglist).

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl