Re: [gtk-list] Re: Force refresh/exposure

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Seth Lytle wrote:
> I have been vaguely following this thread, and now find myself
> confused - unfortunately i didn't save the more relevent previous
> posts - but what i remember is that Havoc wrote
> gtk_signal_emit()
> is bad, and here he says not allowed.
>
> I wrote a small widget, sort of a cross between preview and
> scrolled_window with zoom and minimal mem requirements, but in doing
> so i am pretty sure i used several emits, and after seeing this post
> checked the tutorial, and it shows several gtk_signal_emits in the
> example code.
>
> Is it really wrong to use emit. It seems to me a very convienient way
> to access widget functionality.

You might want to check out my sample chapter at:

http://pobox.com/~hp/gnome-app-devel.html

It is correct to use gtk_signal_emit() in object/widget implementation,
and you can use it if the signal is GTK_RUN_ACTION. You can't use it for
any random signal though, because emitting the signal may require special
preparation or shutdown. So you need to use the API that comes with the
object, rather than emitting signals yourself.

Havoc