Re: [gtk-list] C/GTK+ versus C++/GTK--/QT

> Hello,
>    i don't wan't to start a flame war but here it goes...
>  I wan't to start a semi-large project (free not comercial) and i have
>    no real problems programming with C and GTK+, but recently I read a
C++
> tutorial and i think it would be better to start with C++. After this i
went
> to see GTK-- and honestly I found the thing a bit confusing , comparing
it to
> C/GTK+ or C++/QT. I've never programmed with C++ or QT, but started to
read
> the QT tutorial. Now , my questions:

> - is there a decent tutorial/manual on gtk-- ?

There is some sample code and the actual class documents. Other than that,
with a little practice, you can (almost) read Gtk+ docs as Gtk-- docs. Most
things are trivial to translate.

> - what do you think about C++ and gtk-- ?

I like them both. Gtk-- niceley supports C++ features

> - what do you think about C++ and QT ?

Never tried it ...

> - some ideas on using plain C and GTK+ on OO programming.

Well, the Gtk+ widget hierarchy has it's own inheritance
model it uses. Gtk-- wraps C++ over this. IMHO, if you want
to really do OO programming, use Gtk-- as you'll be able
to nativeley use all the Gtk-- widgets as C++ objects ... if
you use plain Gtk+ with C++ (entrieley possible), you'll
need static functions to connect to signals while in
Gtk-- you can use class methods for this ...

Greetings
--> R