Re: [gtk-list] Widget questions

>  I discovered gtk+ just last week and have decided that it is just what
I'm
>looking for. I've started reading the included docs and read completely the
>New Rider book (much easier to carry on a trip).

    Hope you like it :)

>  Despite my readings I cannot find the answer to two questions:
>
>1) Is there a list of all the widgets provided with the gtk+ distribution?
    The GTK+ FAQ provide a list of widgets (with the hierarchy).
    You shoud habe a look at it.

>2) Is there a data entry validator (called in other development
environments
>a mask or a pattern)? For example, if a data entry field if for a telephone
>number the mask (in Paradox/DOS where my business applications were
created)
>would be [(###)] ###-####. This means that the field accepts only digits
and
>if the opening parenthesis is entered by the user, then the closing
>parenthesis will automatically be placed after the area code. Also, the
>space and hyphen will be added to the text-entry widget field (but not the
>field in the database software). Another example, for a US state code the
>mask could be && which is interpreted as two (and only two) uppercase
>letters.
>
>I expect that someone has already written such a tool, but I've not found
>it. BTW, I've tried searching the archives but without success.

    I don't think that such a widget exist (but I may be wrong).
    Adding a validator should not be so difficult (it could be
    a glib object).

    The basic algorithme may be :
    [connect a function to the "changed" signal]
      check if the beginning of the entry text is correct
      If not, send a new signal (something like "validator-error" perhaps).
      If it is, continue.

    You should have a look to the sample chapters of the free 'GTK+/Gnome
    Application Development' book by Havoc Pennington. Two sample chapters
    are available at http://www106.pair.com/rhp/sample_chapters.html.
    Section 9.6.1 deals with adding new signals to a widget (the v-error).
    There are some informations about the GTK+ architecture that could be
    useful if you implement such a widget.

    Yours,

    pixel@epīta.fr