Re: [gtk-list] Perl/Gtk - Limits of the bindings?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 10:33:50PM +0000, Dermot Musgrove wrote:
> I have written a perl module that reads Glade project files and
> generates perl source (mostly Perl/Gtk calls) to construct the UI and
> stubs for any missing signal handlers (Glade is of course the Gtk+ UI
> builder written by Damon Chaplin). This means that I have been into
> corners of Gtk that I would not, normally, have investigated :-)

Note that the next release of gtk/perl will have support for libglade
(check the gnome-perl module in the cvs repo).

> 1) Gtk::ScrolledWindow->set_policy('never');
>    error is "invalid Gtk::PolicyType never,
>              expecting 'always', or 'automatic'".

Ok, added to the defs of my working copy.

> 2) Gtk::ScrolledWindow->set_update_policy('always', 'always');
>    OR should that be
>    Gtk::ScrolledWindow->hscrollbar->set_update_policy('always');
>    Gtk::ScrolledWindow->vscrollbar->set_update_policy('always');

$scrolled_window->set_policy('always');
or
$hscrollbar->set_update(policy('always');

> 3) Gtk::AccelLabel->set_line_wrap();
> 4) Gtk::Label->set_line_wrap();

There is a typo in the source: corrected as well.

> 5) Gtk::Toolbar->set_space_style('empty'); or ('line')

This feature was missing: added.

> 6) I am having trouble creating pixmaps. Some widgets don't have
>    windows and when I pack_start some I have problems doing:
>
>    $work->{'window'} = $widget->get_toplevel->window;
>    $work->{'style'} = Gtk::Widget->get_default_style->bg('normal');
>
>    ($gdk_pixmap, $gdk_mask) = Gtk::Gdk::Pixmap->create_from_xpm(
>        $work->{'window'}, $work->{'style'}, $found_filename);
>    return new Gtk::Pixmap($gdk_pixmap, $gdk_mask);

Did you realize the widget before using $widget->window?

>    I have been advised to use gdk_pixmap_colormap_create_from_xpm
>    instead which I reckon is not bound yet.
>
> 7) With GtkImage, Glade has properties type & visual, how can I
>    handle these?
>
> 8) I can replicate gtk_label_parse_uline but I cannot then call
>    gtk_label_set_pattern to underline the accelerator key of an
>    accel_label.

I'll have a look at this stuff tomorrow and hopefully test and commit
the changes before going on vacation:-)

> 9) There seems to be no way to use keysyms in a portable way, are
>    you planning to bind these or is there another good way to go?

In the following version there will be an hash table holding the
keysym -> keyvalue mapping.

lupus

lupus@debian.org                                     debian/rules