C Compile problems

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this problem:

I have experience with programming, Java, Pascal and PERL mostly, but I
have never wrote anything on Linux before. I am trying to work my way
through the GTK tutorial, but the helloworld.c program is not working. I
am using RH5.2, and the GTK stuff that came with it, v1.0.6. I have
double checked that I copied the source fine. Here is my screen:

[nathan@localhost src]$ gcc -Wall -g helloworld.c -o ./hello_world
`gtk-config --cflags` \ `gtk-config --libs`
gcc:  -L/usr/lib: No such file or directory

No compiled program shows up, of course. Can anyone help?

Nathan.