synchronous exposure (how to do?)

Hello,

Our program does a hard job at fetching a lot of data from a database at
load time. So a progress bar would be the right thing to show. But since
the expose event is handled at idle time (is this right?) the progress
bar will not be drawn untill everything is loaded.

show() and realize() are not enough! gtk_events_pending() displays an
empty window ...

I can't believe this common problem is not documented somewhere, but I
wasn't able to get the slightest hint.

So my real problem is to synchronously draw one window (WITH contents)
while doing heavy database access.

Thanks for your help
       Christof

PS: Environment is: gtkmm (0.10.1), gtk (1.0.6), Adabas D (not
recommended)