Re: [gtk-list] Re: DND from Netscape

Yoni Elhanani wrote:
> Drazen Kacar wrote:
> >
> > David Helder wrote:
> > >
> > > GTK has DND, so why use Motif?  I can receive URLs from Netscape 4.08 in
> > > testdnd (in the gtk source directory).
>
> No...
> I run Netscape 4.5 and I cant use DND with testdnd.
> I recieve all gtk dnds and gnome dnd (which is gtk dnd anyway)
> but I cant get nothing from netscape.

Which GTK? I tried with GTK+ 1.1.14 and Netscape 4.07 and it works nicely.
However, Netscape has it's own ideas just about everything. I tried getting
drops with Xm and Dt functions, but it all led to SIGSEGV in drop callback,
since it received garbage as arguments. The only way to defend my program
was to install SIGSEGV and SIGBUS handlers for the duration of drop
callback, but I still couldn't find a way to actually extract data I needed.
And I have Motif Programer's guide and Reference and examples directories
in Solaris and man pages and Xt books and all you could think of :-)
After two days of banging my head I decided to forget Motif ever existed.

I suppose you can't get it working because you have an older GTK library.
Look into the source in gtkdnd.c file. If you can't grep MOTIF from there,
then that's it. If your GTK has support for Motifish thingies, then look
into Netscape.ad file. There are some resources related to Motif DND there,
but nobody guarantees they actually mean something to the browser.
In particular, "Netscape*blinkingEnabled: False" no longer works. Or maybe
it does again with 4.5. :-)

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.