Tooltip delays

[ I'm fairly new to Gtk, so the information I use is based on the
  Tutorial at www.gtk.org.  If things have changed, feel free to
  point me to a place describing the changes. ]

Gtk lets the application specify the delay parameter of a tooltip
object.  The delay is the time the mouse needs to hover over the
object for the tooltip to appear, the default delay being one second.

The problem with this arises when a tooltip object encompasses the
tooltips of several adjacent widgets (e.g. a toolbar), and you want to
"browse" those tooltips (i.e. read all of them in succession.)  In
that case, you must wait for the delay timeout to pass over every
widget, which tends to get annoying with many widgets.

Some application developers "fix" this by lowering the timeout to 500
milliseconds or less, but with so low a timeout, you tend to get the
tooltip in your face whether you want it or not.

The correct solution for this is for Gtk to wait the delay time only
over the first widget.  If the tooltip is being shown, and the mouse
moves to another widget whose tooltip belongs to the same GtkTooltip
object, the next tooltip should be shown immediately.  This what
happens on Windows and on some Unix widget sets, and it's quite
convenient.

(Optionally, Gtk could support a second delay value that defaults to
zero, but I don't think it would really be necessary.)

P.S.
I'm not on the list; please keep the Cc to me if you want me to read
your answer.