Re: Q: Resizing Fixeds

On 6 Feb 1999, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Hmmm, the following program works as expected for me. There
> are a few sophistications in there to get the minimum size
> to behave in a more natural way, but they won't affect
> what you are looking at.
>
> The allocate callback does get called twice, because
> gtk_widget_set_usize queues a resize and the configure
> event will also cause a resize to happen, but both
> of them occur with the correct size. Assuming that
> the GLArea doesn't do too much work in "size_allocate",
> or alternatively, checks first if the size actually
> changed, this should be pretty harmless.

Nope. Using this exact code (as well as a Perl equivalent), I do get
allocate called twice, but when I resize the window, allocate is called
again with the _same_ size, 100x100. Let me show you:

	Start program you listed:

		New allocation 0 x 0
		New allocation 100 x 100

	Resize window to triple size:

		New allocation 100 x 100

	Tweak window size:

		New allocation 303 x 337

	Halve window size:

		New allocation 307 x 342

	Tweak window size:

		New allocation 148 x 169

It's clearly lagging one step -- but this isn't actually visible with the
drawing area. This is with Gtk+-1.1.14, and XFree86 3.something.