./configure and 1.1.13

I am currently using gtk+1.1.13 and glib1.1.13 (both rpm's) and a am
unable to configure any gtk-based programs.
gtk-config --version reports : 1.1.13
gtk-config --libs reports :
    -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib
-ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm
gtk-config --cflags reports : -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/usr/lib/glib/include

When running ./configure is spits out the following:
        checking for gtk-config... (cached) /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
        *** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
        *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was
incorrectly installed
        *** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the
latter case, you
        *** may want to edit the gtk-config script:
/usr/local/bin/gtk-config

Well, heck  seems to me that it is installed correctly.  I read the FAQ
and nothing seemed to help out and when I installed the dev rpms i
uninstalled all previous versions.  I'm not too experienced with
programming so I'm at a loss.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark