gtk_menu_popup

Could someone give me some background on arguments 2 and 3 to
gtk_menu_popup(), parent_menu_shell, and parent_menu_item():

void
gtk_menu_popup(GtkMenu *menu, GtkWidget *parent_menu_shell,
        GtkWidget *parent_menu_item, GtkMenuPositionFunc func, gpointer data,
        guint button, guint32 activate_time);

I've got a handle on the other args. In all instances of the function in the
Gtk+ 1.2 source, these args are both set to NULL.

Thanks,

syd