Re: [gtk-list] Re: [motif vs gtk]

Being relatively new to Gtk+, a widget internals geek, and Gtk+ being my 8th
toolkit in the last decade, I have to agree with Syd that Gtk+ and Motif
are very similar. Of course there are the translation issues where
ideas are named differently (ie. the "those French have a different word for
everything" problem), but that is simply overcome through experience.

The only basic thing that I have noticed, and minimally annoyed by, is
Gtk's minimal reliance on a SetValues() type mechanism. For me it is
just an idiosyncratic thing, but lots of my cut and paste mentality
had to be thrown out the window. In Motif, you go straight to the
abstracting mechanism right way and you don't have to worry too much
about remembering the api calls for the particular widgets. It doesn't
annoy me anymore, now that I am comfortable with Gtk.

I, given my drothers, prefer Java Swing to Gtk, but that is largely
due to my deviant inclinations towards things like C++.

<Dean scampers back to his bunker and locks the door behind him>

	-Dean Johnson
	 Tool Hooligan
	 Silicon Graphics Inc.	  Eagan,MN	(651) 683-5880

      "I am Dyslexic of Borg, Your Ass will be Laminated"    -- unknown