Re: [gtk-list] Re: Versioning question

Tue Dec 21 1999, Juergen A. Erhard ->
>     Matthew> I'm developing an application to be distributed in binary
>     form that links Matthew> statically to GTK+ so I won't have to
>     worry about what version the client Matthew> is running (of course
>     at the expense of binary size).
>
> I'd advise you to first read the license terms of GTK+.  That is, the
> GNU LGPL (in the file COPYING in the source distribution).
>
> >From what you say, I have the *very* strong feeling that you
> didn't... if you had done so, you wouldn't think about distributing a
> binary application "that links statically to GTK+".  As that would
> violate the GTK+ license terms (said GNU LGPL).
>
> Again: what you plan to to would violate GTK+'s license terms.
>
> Don't do that.
>
> Bye, J
>
> PS: IANAL... and neither am I one of the multiple copyright holders in
> the GTK+.  But I *have* read the LGPL...

You have?
Did you read section 5?

I quote:

  5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the
Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or
linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library".  Such a
work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
therefore falls outside the scope of this License.

So linking statically with gtk+ is fine, as long as you on request can
produce the sources to gtk+ as well. You don't have to produce the
sources to your own program. Thats why gtk+ uses LGPL instead of GPL.

	n.

--
[ http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d95mback/ ] [ PGP: 0x453504F1 ] [ UIN: 4439498 ]
    Opinions expressed above are mine, and not those of my future employees.

PGP signature