Re: [gtk-list] Re: C++ and gtk+

"Arjan J. Molenaar" wrote:

> hi,
>
> GTK+ is a C library for X, not a C++ library. Using GTK-- is a very thin wrapper,
> so you won't notice the difference. You can still create your own classes in C++.
>
> regards,
> Arjan

Arjan:

I have been playing with both GTK+ and GTK--.  I have tried to model the same "job"
or application using different design techniques.  I like GTK-- the best because I
am creating most of the objects myself.  The abstractions are my design and I am
just using GTK-- as the trimmings.  You are right, the wrappers are thin!  I believe
that the objects as a whole still cannot complete the user interface.  The
programmer still has to create his own objects.  And, I think that this means that
there will be good gtk apps and bad gtk apps.  Remember, there is nothing new under
the sun.  GTK+/GTK-- is no different than any other GUI library.  It's the things
that aren't in the books that make or break a good app.

David (aka Zeus)
david.whitehurst@att.net