Re: [gtk-list] Re: check button MS-Windows style.

> Adrian Feiguin <feiguin@magnet.fsu.edu> writes:
> > Gtk+extra will have a checkbutton with that style called gtkcheckitem.
> > gtk+extra will be released this week. Regards,
>
> Encouraging this kind of gratuitously inconsistent look-and-feel seems
> a bit silly, especially since this aspect of look-and-feel is already
> user configurable.
>
> It's a disservice to users to make them learn two interfaces.
>
> I guess for in-house or for-personal-use apps it doesn't matter, but
> for any released app it's a terrible idea.
>
> I call this gtk_ctree_set_expander_style() syndrome, and it must be
> eliminated!

I agree with you in many senses, but I still have something to argue. The
people in gtk is dedicating a lot of time and effort to port the libraries
to other plattforms (e.g, windows) and low-level stuff, and a lot of
widgets have not been maintained anymore. Example: gtkspinbutton. IMHO
this widget must be re-written completelly from scratch as a gtkhbox
subclass (like gtkcombo), and this will fix all the reparenting bugs it
still has. Suppouse that I write it, would you think it will replace the
old one? I'm not sure. In case it isn't, should I include it in my libs
with another name?

With gtkcheckitem I wanted to fix an alignment bug (it doesn't
center without labels) and I needed it for my application. I couldn't
wait until the bug is fixed for my application, and that's
why I released it. If you tell me that this bug will be fixed for 1.4/2.0,
I will remove it from my libraries.

The thing is that I got really dissapointed when I sent a patch for
gtkscrolledwindow like 1 year ago,
adding a shadowed border to the viewport. This would avoid having to draw
the border for each child widget (like gtkclist, it would simplify the
drawing code). I considered it  useful (I believe Owen did , too), but I
haven't seen it implemented. I haven't released my own scrolledwindow,
either:).

What I'm triyng to say is:
1) Some widgets have been left without maintainance.
2) I'm not sure if you take contributors too seriously.
3) ... It's just my honest opinion...

I hope you didn't get my wrong, and I don't mean to be arrogant. If it
looks like, it's probably my english :).

Regards,
<ADRIAN>