Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

"Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:
> But it's instructive to consider what the xmms authors make it do, as a
> means of figuring out what sorts of fancy functionality might be useful
> to have in the interface between the application and the window manager
> (relevant for the wmspec list, e.g.).
>
> With Scwm, we use our built-in constraint solver to support the same
> kind of auto-snapping functionality that xmms provides, but allow it

Well, for auto-snapping I would say they should either a) require the
window manager to do it, like scwm or b) have everything in the same
toplevel window, gtk makes it trivial to pop widgets in and out of
toplevels, so you could just move the playlist in and out of the main
window or something.

However, the stupid app also doesn't support resizing, doesn't have a
titlebar, moves itself around because it doesn't have a titlebar, has
no close button since it has no titlebar (so you have the Windows
problem where you can't move or delete an app that crashes), doesn't
support window shading (because of no titlebar), makes
internationalization next to impossible because the strings are in
pixmaps and the geometry is hardcoded, has an unreadable
dark-blue-on-black interface because GTK colors aren't used, etc.
That's just what I remember from when I tried to use it. :-)

I prefer something like gtcd, but clearly I just "don't get" sound
applications which all have these annoying totally busted
interfaces. ;-) Granted, it looks cool.

Havoc