RE: [gtk-list] Re: Switching from Borland C++

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:30:21 -0400, Robert Krueger wrote:
> >   I have been a C / C++ programmer for about 15 - 16 years, primarily
> > developing Windows applications using the Borland compilers exclusively,
> > the current one being C++ Builder 3.0.
> >   I would like to continue to develop Windows 9x programs using C++ (not
> > with Borland C++ Builder), but would also like to dabble in Linux as
> > well.  I would like to be able to have a single set of tools that would
> > do for both OS's, if possible.
> >   I guess I still don't understand the relationship between the
> > many choices of GNU gcc, GTK+, GNOME, gtk--, etc.   I'm not sure what
> > fits together.

I've had no problems doing cross-platform GTK development, using VC++ 6.0 on
the Windows side and gcc on the Linux side.  On your Windows machine you'll
need to install the Win32 ports of GLIB (a library of utility functions,
typedefs, etc.), GDK (a low-level set of drawing and window functions), and
GTK (a high-level collection of controls, windows, buttons, menus, etc.).
All three of which are available at http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/
(and many thanks to Tor Lillqvist for his excellent work on the Win32
ports - I've yet to run across any missing functionality).  You'll find that
the only source of problems when compiling is <windows.h> ... MS's
richly-deserved reputation for polluting the global namespace really shines
here.  Of course, if you're doing cross-platform, you shouldn't need it,
anyway.  And you'll be amazed at how fast things compile :)

Regards,
Tim