how to have a events processed outside of gtk_main()

I have an application fragment:

struct Data {
	char *string;	/* assigned somewhere in buiding widgets */
} data;

GnomeAppBar *appbar;

fill_clist(GtkClist *w) {
	char **clist_text;
	char msg[1288];

	for (i = 0; i < num_items; i++) {
		clist_text[0] = data[i].string;
		gtk_clist_append(w, text);
		sprintf(msg, "adding item %d", i);
		gnome_appbar_set_status (appbar , msg);
	}
}

main(){
	build_widgets();
	gtk_main();
}

So, somewhere in gtk_main() a dispatch is made to fill_clist to populate
a clist widget.  I want to send a status message as each item is added
to the list, the problem is of course, that the status does not actually
get updated to the application because we are outside of gtk_main().  I
am wondering what I can do in the loop in fill_clist() to have the
application updated so that the status bar messages are displayed.

Much thanx for any insight you can give.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX