Performance characteristics of gtk_container_add for GtkList

Can anyone give me a rundown of the performance characteristics of
gtk_container_add for a GtkList? I only recently realized that a
g_list_append is an O(n) rather than O(1) operation, and am a bit
spooked.

Thanks,

m.

--
"How wonderful! How mysterious                                   Programmer
 I carry wood! I draw water!"                   Loki Entertainment Software