Re: [gtk-list] Re: compile problems on SunOS 5.7

> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:20:06 +0200
> From: Norbert Bladt <abladtn@autelca.ascom.ch>
>
> Dave Reed wrote:
> >
> > Correction - 1.2.4 won't compile using gcc 2.8.1 on any of the Suns,
> > but it does compile fine on my RH 5.2 Linux box at home.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> Which version of perl is installed ?
> You should have at least Perl 5.004.x to compile and install
> GTK-1.2.[34].

That's probably it - I think they still have Release 5.0 Patchlevel 01
of Perl.  I just asked the sys admin to update it.  Although, I
installed 1.2.3 with that version of Perl.

> Had a very similar problem on FreeBSD which uses perl version 4 for
> some reason.
> Unfortunately, the Makefile expects (hard coded) that perl is
> in /usr/bin/perl :-(
> I couldn't find a way to do a 'configure --perl=/usr/local/bin/perl'
> to keep both versions on the same machine easily.

Perl is installed in /usr/local/bin on the Suns and I didn't have that
problem.

Thanks,
Dave