NEWBIE: Global Clipboard

Somone on this list was kind enough to explain to me how to implement
Copy/Paste in my application, however, I forgot to point out that I want
to be able to make that information that I copy to the clipboard
available to other applications. Does GTK+ have such an API?

This is what I used:

gtk_editable_copy_clipboard (GTK_EDITABLE (text));
gtk_editable_paste_clipboard (GTK_EDITABLE (text));

But they don't seem to export to a "global clipboard". They work fine
within the app, but not to get the data to other apps.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt