Re: [gtk-list] Best way to display video

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, James Macnicol wrote:

> 	What is the best way to do this?  I've been looking at some of
> the gdk_imlib stuff which displays things by setting the background
> pixmap in a drawing area widget.  I'd prefer not to use imlib if I can

Imlib (IMHO) is slow. I tried something similar.

> because I don't really need anything much from it and I find it leads
> to the Solaris X server crashing spectacularly (although if not having
> it means I need to deal with colour allocation then I guess I'll keep
> it).  My guess is the best way to do things is to have an idle
> function to trigger the displaying of the next frame in a sequence.

My application was tailored for truecolor visuals (pseudocolor is too much
effort:-), but I get very nice frame rates with a piece of code based on
Patrick Reynolds' cqcam GTK frontend. I'm currently using it to convert
grayscale images to color, but the cqcam program has optimized conversions
for 24 bit -> 15, 16, and 24 bit color. It handles both truecolor and
pseudocolor visuals, although the truecolor support is easier to work with
(as you can imagine; the quickcam handles the colormap conversion in the
case of cqcam). You can find cqcam at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~patrick/

--Charles Lepple                    |  Check one:
System Administrator                |    ( ) Routine matter
Virginia Tech EE Workstation Labs   |    ( ) Urgent
clepple@ee.vt.edu                   |    ( ) The future of the known
http://www.ee.vt.edu/help/          |        universe hangs in the balance