Re: [gtk-list] file selector

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 john@giorgio.hart.bbk.ac.uk wrote:

> * files-of-type filtering
That would be fine.

> * a combo widget at the top, rather than the option_menu
>     - tab-completion in the combo dir dir names
>     - you can put your own stuff in the history list
>     - history items show all dirs visited, not just dirs on path to root
>
> * something to automatically set/change the suffix for you
>     - files-of-type is set to TIFF, user types "fred", altered to "fred.tif"
>     - files-of-type is changed from TIFF to JPEG/JFIF, file name
>       changed from "fred.tif" to "fred.jpg"
>     - set files-of-type to all to disable this "feature"
>
> * environment vars in filenames
>     - you can put "$PHOTOSHOP_HOME/demos" in the history, for example
All these are interesting.

> * single-click to switch dirs in dir-list
>     - heck, I prefer it anyway
Me, too.  If I could write down a dram here, I'd like to navigate in
the way Midnight Commander does.  Switch the windows with <Tab> and
a "Lynx-like-motion" would be examples what I'm thinking about.

And, what would be a really easy fife lines hack in my opinion: Leave
the cursor over the directory I come from when I step down the tree
instead of setting it on ".." .

> * better preservation of the selected filename
>     - switching dirs does not zap the filename you typed in, wooo!
Of course!

Kind regards

       Andreas.