GTK_EXPAND option in gtk_table_attach()

What exactly does this option to?  The description given in, "Developing
Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK" says: "The GTK_EXPAND flag causes the
table to expand to fill all the space in the window where it was inserted".
To me, this description makes no sense to me, because it's an option
specified to attach a widget to table.  Why would it have anything to do
with the table's expansion?  Could someone give me a better description of
this?

Ted